Tuesday, June 23, 2009

San Antonio is for Vegans

So, it has been forever since I posted; I have my reasons (laziness, procrastination, school, etc.) But anywho, I became a fabulous vegan on May 17th of this year, and I'm rather happy about it. On June 5th, I flew 1000-some-odd miles to San Antonio, Texas for my yearly stay with my sister, Stef, and I am super duper proud to say I stayed vegan the entirety of my stay. We ate out quite a bit, and, even though I didn't write down the order and days I went, I have top-notch Blackberry-quality photos of some of the strange and awesome food I ate. =P

In the airport, the day of my departure, I stayed on my phone practically the entire time, texting my now boyfriend, Nick Green. It really made the terrible time in the airport somewhat enjoyable, for he is quite the dashing fellow, and made me smile endlessly. :D

I got to San Antonio, and I literally had not eaten a thing all day (which isn't strange for me), and Stef is quite the extravagent one. So, we went out to one of my favourite places EVERRR, Zushi Sushi and I had some amazing noodle dish, my usual seaweed salad, and the best ever veggie sushi rolls.
My green tea settled my nerves and it was off to H.E.B. (Herbert Eugene Butts =P)for some health food shopping. I found the BESTBESTBEST venezuelan dark chocolate there. I spent a few nights chopping on it in the apartment, one in which I was watching the Titanic and talking to my sweetie. What a girl....




I also went to this insanely delicious mexican restaurant with Stef and her work partner, Gerald, and it was just wonderful. I wish I could remember the name, but I had grilled vegetable fajitas and had the best salsa I have ever had in my life. (I'm a chips and salsa enthusiast.)

Another night we stayed in and I made this soup that my mum came across while watching Giada de Laurentiis one day, and other than the chicken broth changing to Vegetable broth, it was already vegan. Here's the recipe via foodnetwork (I made a few alterations, in italics)
__________________________________________________________________

Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup (courtesy of Giada de Laurentiis)

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil

  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce
  • 2 (14-ounce) cans vegetable broth
  • 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 cup pastina pasta (or any small pasta)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 can fire roasted tomatoes

Directions

Warm the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots, onion, and garlic and saute until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the jar of marinara sauce, vegetable broth, cannellini beans, red pepper flakes, fire roasted tomatoes, pasta, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve.
_______________________________________________________________

I spent a lot of my time at the Riverwalk, listening to the Native American-esque band play, as I sat on my little marble slab and drank my delicious vanilla soy latte from the starbucks downstairs. I overspent while I was there, but I loved every second. I'll put some pictures from my real camera up later.

Anywho, for lunch one day, I ran to the probation office to meet Stef and her co-worker and friend, Kim. I literally ran as soon as I woke up, so by the time I got there I was ready for some foooooood. =) So we went to the Guenther House, which is a historical little cottage that serves up the best coffee and awesome-ass food. I got the same thing as I got last year, trading the cream cheese pesto for mustard, and I was in loveeee! =DD



The last night in town, i went out with friends to a movie, Land of the Lost. Fucking hilarious. =) That night, we got in an accident. Not huge, but the car was undriveable, we were on the South side of San Antonio, and I had to board a plane back home in 4 hours from then. Although it sucked, I was pretty optimistic about it. It let me spend more time with my friend who is leaving for the airforce in a few months. =/


John and Dre showed me a great time. Dre, I'll miss the hell out of you when I don't see you the next time I go to San Antonio. Good luck in the airforce. <3

2 comments:

  1. wow! just wow!
    i love this !
    i love that you use different colors and have personal stories. i want to go re-decorate my blog now, it inspires me!
    we will definitely have an awesome post by next wednesday for conor! maybe we should take some pbjs on the road like at irish fest!
    i wrote last week, when i was reading the rolling stone conor article, all i need is a good pbj and some conor oberst.
    dream come true! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also want to make that soup and i love the picture of you cookin' it up.

    ReplyDelete